This article sent my blood pressure sky rocketing and prompted me to use the P-word in an e-mail to a friend. (As in, those kids are p-words.)
One college administrator had this to say about my beloved Four Loko:
“There’s no redeeming social purpose to be served by having the beverage,” [said] Ramapao College President Peter Mercer.
DC is fabbityfab, y’all. Some of my faves:
- Capitol Hill Books, a super cramped and slightly-disorganized bookshop that’s still totally charming. (But no Murakami to be found! Why, oh why?)
- Little Devils at Sticky Fingers Bakery. Oh my goodness. So tasty. A TSA employee opened up the bag holding it and I was about to get a little rowdy before she replaced my precious, which I promptly ate at the gate.
- A million, billion apple samples (especially Honeycrisp!) at Eastern Market and the weekend market in Dupont Circle. Yum.
- Boy watching on the Metro/boys on bikes, everywheeere. DC boys definitely have it going on, y’all.
- A sweet compliment on my outfit! Oh my goodness! I dress like I’m smoking crack so I was pretty pleased. That kind of shit makes my day.
- A gardein (chik’n) burrito at Chipotle. Another level.
- Finally meeting darling Sophia, a super super cute pup! I’m estimating maybe three more years before I’m grown up/responsible enough to take care of a dog in addition to taking care of myself.
Things that are probably not worth the effort and pain of having:
- Crushes and boos
me: lolol omg
i used to love the teletubbies, like in high school
me: yeah i was weird ha
s: i wouldn’t know, i never really watched it. only got parts of the drama associated with that show
me: hahaha yeah. it’s pretty whack, a little trippy
me: a lil boring in the middle part because then there’s some kids on it
s: is it real you think?
me: what, that they’re gay?
s: yeah, and people were upset because kids were there?
me: nah probably not. i mean the whole thing is just weird but i don’t see them as very human-like so even though tinky winky (purple “gay” one) was sorta a dude he was also just a big purple creature that liked to hold a purse and happened to have a triangle on his head
s: ooh right. so then why were people so uspet about it?
me: because they are stupid
me: yeah, and reactionary and just looking for shit to be upset about. plus the british are just cooler about stuff than we are so i think it was only a big deal over here i’d guess
me: but i know some gay people adopted tinky winky as sort of their little mascot or whatever and would have little tinky winky keychains and stuff
me: erm amazing
s: they really do jam
I’m DC-bound, tomorrow afternoon! Quelle exciting. I have to spend a couple of days staying out in the ‘burbs for a career fair, but I think I’ll get to head into DC-proper in the afternoons and evenings, and then I’m spending a couple of days exploring before I head home. Things I hope to do:
- Railfan a little bit. Yes, I’m a nerd.
- Duck into used bookshops, to explore and hopefully, hopefully find a copy of the Wild Sheep Chase.
- Explore fun neighborhoods.
- Be a tourist for a bit—I’m time limited, so I don’t know if I’ll spend long in the museums but I’d like to stroll the mall and see the White House/wave to Obama/maybe see Bo?!
- Eat at some or all of the following:
Sticky Fingers Bakery
Busboys and Poets
Food for Thought at the Black Cafe
the Chipotle at Dupont Circle, which has mock chicken!?%@!%#*
(I do realize that that is way too many restaurants for a short trip. Sad.)
- Maybe the zoo? See, e.g., pandas.
- If I’m not feeling too shy dance somewhere fun and awesome?
Recommendations, I’m guessing mainly from this rad girl, would be great.
me: do u think i really have to wear ~*~nude~*~ tights under my suit?
j: a pants suit?
me: skirt suit lol
me: i wanna have my legz out
j: um, i would for an interview, yeah
me: oops i didnt this mornin
j: i dont think anyone is going to think it’s bad per se
j: but it might come off as more professional?
me: kk ill put a glove on it
j: no glove no love
j: no tights no job
Okay, I’m working on a project/game. I want to think of my top five characters from books, movies, and television. (Like, five from each - three separate lists). It’s trickier than I thought so I need to spend a little time on it, but y’all should come up with your own lists, too. Fun game, right?
A few early contenders, for me:
Bill Haverchuck (Freaks and Geeks)
Moses Herzog (Herzog)
Cal Stephanides (Middlesex)
Jesse (Before Sunrise/Before Sunset)
The Lorelais Gilmore (Gilmore Girls)
I am also hoping to come up with a list of my top five (or maybe ten) animals - inspired by my recent realization of my strong love for chipmunks. Those little dudes are so cute! Obviously cows are number one on my favorite animal list, though.
So, so much amazing new music today. I’m in love. Too much to list it all, but here’s a little sample:
The Apples in Stereo
Coeur de Pirate
Department of Eagles
and a super amazing song which you must track down — Brooklyn Bridge by Alex Beaupain. I can’t find a good version on YouTube but it’s very much worth a dollar. Beautiful.